Installing the Program
- Download the TMG Utility install program from the download page. Remember where you store the file on your PC.
- Double click the install program to run it. Follow the directions of that program.
If you are prompted during the install to decide between accepting a new version of a particular file or leaving the existing file as is, you should probably accept the new file.
Before running the install program, try to make sure that you close all other running programs. Don't forget the "system tray" programs; these are represented by icons in the taskbar. Right-click on the icons and choose exit, quit, close, or whatever choice seems like it will make the icon go away temporarily!
Known Install Problems
- If you are using Windows XP or prior, you must be logged in to an administrator account, or have install privileges, to perform the install successfully.
- After the install completes, MS Windows may display a warning message, "The program might not have installed correctly." You can ignore that message.
- TMG Utility requires a recent, working version of the Windows Script facility. Most PCs will meet that requirement. If TMG Utility is unable to use the Windows Script susbsystem, it will issue a warning message and open the Installing Windows Script page.
- Some TMG Utility features, such as Export Data, require Microsoft® XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.0. If you get an "ActiveX component can't create object" message when you attempt to use a feature, that may mean that MSXML is not installed or not working properly.
On Windows Vista and new versions of MS WIndows, MSXML is part of the operating system and should work properly, but if it doesn't, you cannot re-install to try and fix it.
On Windows XP and previous, you can install (or re-install) MSXML by following the directions below.
- Browse to the Microsoft Core XML Services page.
- On that page there are several options for installing MSXML, and you must choose the right version for your PC's processor. Choose msxml6_x86.msi for 32-bit processors, or one of the 64-bit versions if you have a 64-bit processor. If you do not know which type of processor you have, it's probably a 32-bit processor and so msxml6_x86.msi is the right choice.
- After downloading the proper .msi file, double-click the file to open and install MSXML6.
Some anti-virus programs will interfere with the installation of MSXML. Webroot SpySweeper, for example, may need to be disabled if the installation does not succeed.
This page last changed on 01 Feb 2016.